[aprssig] RE: APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:01:24 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:27 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to work with a scout troop of youth with their OLPC's have fun exporing and setting up their ad-hoc wireless network in a simulated disaster area.  Just working at the local RF level would be fun.  Using ad-hoc antennas to get everyone linked up.
>
> Then one or two of them could hook up a PSK-31 link out of the area to other scout troops.  Then they could all expore the multi-connectedness, etc.
>
> More and more, ham radio uses laptops for fundamental tasks and I look forward to having access to a very low cost terminal.
>
> Combined with a very low cost HT like Scott's and the sound card modem. then someone anywhwere at any time, could get an email out via one of the APRS satellites.
>
> Remember, you may be simply stuck in the bottom of a ravine in Georgia and not get a packet out.  But ANYWHERE on the planet, and APRS email can get out a few times a day via the satellites.  That is why I think that all APRS and all AMSAT users should exercise this capability to know how to use it when the DO need it.
>
> Jus a thought.

The satellite operation (AMSAT) is probably the only area where
Amateur Radio has anything to offer the OLPC project.   The built in
software of OLPC for networking and messaging such as email, IM or
even sharing pictures and videos far surpasses what we have with APRS
and essentially all other Amateur Radio systems today.

I can imagine the response when trying to demonstrate the 31 baud
messaging of PSK31 to even kids used to sharing home made movies by
mesh networking with their friends, and probably the world.

And I'm an optimist....    I ordered my "2" laptops this morning..
:-)    They have a great setup with Paypal - makes it very quick and
easy to place an order....

  http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/index.php

73
Bill - WA7NWP

PS.  Give a man a fish and you feed him today.  Teach a man to fish,
or a child to use a computer, and you feed him for life.   It'll be
fascinating watching the worldwide paybacks from this new generation
of computer literate young minds..   We all know what happened when
the Lotians took apart that communicator...