[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 13 13:51:29 EST 2007

> One of the responses said it was "AC97" hardware.  That's one of the
> low-end soundcard hardware implementations, right?  I don't know if
> it's sufficient for the "soundmodem software.  Perhaps someone could
> respond directly to that?  A Google search on

Maybe it's more of a concern for more sophisticated modes, but for AFSK
I think the system ought to be able to handle it, as long as the timing
isn't too far out of whack.  The OpenTracker+ does a pretty decent job
of decoding AFSK (I just heard a report of one being used on an IGate
where it was doing a better job than an old TNC) and all it has is an
8-bit ADC sampling at 9600 hz, and an 8-bit, 7.3 MHz CPU that manages
about 2-3 MIPS.  And it still has cycles left over for decoding GPS data
and sampling two other channels with the same ADC.

Scott
N1VG