[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 13 13:42:15 EST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> Since the OLPC runs a Linux-based operating system, probably Xastir
> could be made to run on it fairly easily.

Depends quite a bit on what widget sets are supported.

> Wonder if the sound system is sufficiently "normal" (i.e. PC-like) that
> the Linux sound card TNC driver would work.   (Or is that implemented in
> X86 code that won't run at all on the CPU in the OLPC?)

One of the responses said it was "AC97" hardware.  That's one of the
low-end soundcard hardware implementations, right?  I don't know if
it's sufficient for the "soundmodem software.  Perhaps someone could
respond directly to that?  A Google search on

    soundmodem ac97

Shows that people have asked about AC97/soundmodem before.

As far as soundmodem software processor-dependence, at least one
person compiled it for Solaris and had it working, configured as a
serial KISS TNC instead of an AX.25 kernel networking port.  I
_think_ that was on a Sparc processor but can't say for sure.