[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 12:26:47 EST 2007

Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> Since the OLPC runs a Linux-based operating system, probably Xastir
> could be made to run on it fairly easily.
> Wonder if the sound system is sufficiently "normal" (i.e. PC-like)
> that the Linux sound card TNC driver would work. (Or is that
> implemented in X86 code that won't run at all on the CPU in the OLPC?)

Looks like it does use "PC-like" architecture, including an AC '97 audio
system.
 From the http://laptop.org website:

[Note that the only I/O is audio, USB and a flash card slot. No ethernet.]

    Specifications

      Physical dimensions:

    * Approximate dimensions: 242mm×228mm×32mm;
    * Approximate weight: 1.45KG with LiFeP battery; 1.58KG with NiMH
      battery;
    * Configuration: Convertible laptop with pivoting, reversible
      display; dirt- and moisture-resistant system enclosure; no fan.

      Core electronics:

    * CPU: x86-compatible processor with 64KB each L1 I and D cache; at
      least 128KB L2 cache; AMD Geode LX-700 at 0.8W (datasheet
      <http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/33358e_lx_900_productb.pdf>);
    * CPU clock speed: 433 Mhz;
    * ISA compatibility: Support for both the MMX and 3DNow! x86
      instruction-set extensions; Athlon instruction set (including MMX
      and 3DNow! Enhanced) with additional Geode-specific instructions;
    * Companion chips: PCI and memory interface integrated with CPU;
      North Bridge: PCI and Memory Interface integrated with Geode CPU;
      AMD CS5536 South Bridge (datasheet
      <http://www.amd.com/files/connectivitysolutions/geode/geode_lx/33238f_cs5536_ds.zip>);
    * Graphics controller: Integrated with Geode CPU; unified memory
      architecture;
    * Embedded controller: ENE KB3700
      <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:KB3700-ds-01.pdf> or ENE KB3700B;
    * DRAM memory: 256 MiB dynamic RAM;
    * Data rate: Dual — DDR333 — 166 Mhz;
    * 1024KB SPI-interface flash ROM;
    * Mass storage: 1024 MiB SLC NAND flash, high-speed flash controller;
    * Drives: No rotating media;
    * CAFE ASIC (Camera, Flash Enabler chip, provides high-performance
      Camera, NAND FLASH and SD interfaces); Marvell 88ALP01: (CAFE
      specification <http://www.marvell.com/products/pcconn/88ALP01.jsp>).

      Display:

    * Liquid-crystal display: 7.5” Dual-mode TFT display;
    * Viewing area: 152.4mm × 114.3mm;
    * Resolution: 1200 (H) × 900 (V) resolution (200 DPI);
    * Monochrome display: High-resolution, reflective sunlight-readable
      monochrome mode; Color display: Standard-resolution,
      Quincunx-sampled, transmissive color mode;
    * LCD power consumption: 0.1 Watt with backlight off; 0.2–1.0 Watt
      with backlight on;
    * The display-controller chip (DCON) with memory that enables the
      display to remain live with the processor suspended; the display
      and this chip are the basis of our extremely low power
      architecture; the display controller chip also enables deswizzling
      and anti-aliasing in color mode.

      Integrated peripherals:

    * Keyboard: 80+ keys, 1.0mm stroke; sealed rubber-membrane
      key-switch assembly;
          o Keyboard layout details;
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Keyboard_layouts>
          o Keyboard layout pictures: international
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Keyboard_english.png>, Thai
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Keyboard%20thai.png>,
            Arabic <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:AR-MP-v1.png>,
            Spanish <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:ES-MP-v1.png>,
            Portuguese <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:BR-MP-v1.png>,
            West African
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:NG-MP-alt.png>, Urdu
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Urdu-MP.png>, Mongolian
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:MO-MP-v1.png>, Cyrillic
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:RU-MP-v1.png>, Amharic
            <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Ethiopic-B3.png>;
    * Gamepad: Two sets of four-direction cursor-control keys;
    * Touchpad: Dual capacitance/resistive touchpad; supports
      written-input mode; ALPS Electric Dual capacitive/resistive touchpad;
    * Audio: AC97-compatible audio audio subsystem; internal stereo
      speakers and amplifier; internal monophonic microphone; jacks for
      external headphones and microphone; Analog Devices AD1888 and
      Analog Devices SSM2211 for audio amplification;
    * Wireless networking: Integrated 802.11b/g (2.4GHz) interface;
      802.11s (Mesh) networking supported; dual adjustable, rotating
      coaxial antennas; supports diversity reception; capable of mesh
      operation when CPU is powered down; Marvell Libertas 88W8388
      controller and 88W8015 radio;
    * Status indicators: Power, battery, WiFi (2); visible when lid is
      open or closed; microphone in-use and camera in-use visible when
      lid is open;
    * Video camera: integrated color vision camera; 640×480 resolution
      at 30FPS; Omnivision OV7670
      <http://www.ovt.com/products/part_detail.asp?id=53>.

      External connectors:

    * DC power: 6mm (1.65mm center pin) connector; 11 to 18 V input
      usable, –32 to 40 V input tolerated; power draw limited to 15 W;
    * Headphone output: Standard 3.5mm 3-pin switched stereo audio jack;
    * Microphone input: Standard 3.5mm 2-pin switched mono microphone
      jack; selectable 2V DC bias; selectable sensor-input mode (DC or
      AC coupled);
    * USB: Three Type-A USB-2.0 connectors; up to 1A power supplied (total);
    * Flash explansion: MMC/SD Card slot.

      Battery:

    * Pack type: 2 or 4 cells LiFePO4; or 5 cells NiMH, approximately 6V
      series configuration;
    * Capacity: 22.8 Watt-hours (LiFePO4); 16.5 Watt-hours (NiMH);
    * Fully-enclosed “hard” case; user removable;
    * Electronics integrated with pack provide:
    * Identification;
    * Battery charge and capacity information;
    * Thermal and over-current sensors along with cutoff switch to
      protect battery;
    * Minimum 2,000 charge/discharge cycles (to 50% capacity of new);
    * Power management <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Power_Management> will
      be critical.

      BIOS/loader

    * Open Firmware used to load the operating system.

      Environmental specifications:

    * Temperature: UL certification planned to 45C in Q32007, pending
      50C certification in mid-2008;
    * Humidity: UL certification planned to IP42 (perhaps higher) when
      closed, the unit should seal well enough that children walking to
      and from school need not fear rainstorms and dust;
    * Maximum altitude: –15m to 3048m (14.7 to 10.1 PSIA) (operating),
      –15m to 12192m (14.7 to 4.4 PSIA) (non-operating);
    * Shock 125g, 2ms, half-sine (operating) 200g, 2ms, half-sine
      (non-operating);
    * Random vibration: 0.75g zero-to-peak, 10Hz to 500Hz, 0.25 oct/min
      sweep rate (operating); 1.5g zero-to-peak, 10Hz to 500Hz, 0.5
      oct/min sweep rate (nonoperating);
    * 2mm plastic walls (1.3mm is typical for most systems).

      Regulatory requirements:

    * The usual US and EU EMI/EMC (Electromagnetic Interference and
      Compatibility) requirements will be met;
    * The laptop meets IEC 60950-1, EN 60950-1, and CSA/UL 60950-1
      specifications. It also complies with UL 1310 and UL 498. In order
      to guarantee the safety of children using the laptop, it also
      passes ASTM F 963;
    * The external power adapter complies with IEC, EN, and CSA/UL 60950-1;
    * The removable battery pack complies with IEC, EN, and CSA/UL
      60950-1 and UL 2054;
    * RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive – EU) compliant.