[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 04:20:15 EST 2007

Scott Miller wrote:
> Ray McKnight wrote:
> > One laptop for every child on the planet.
> > I have strong words which I cannot use.
> > Other than utterly LUDICRIOUS!
>
> There are many arguments against the project, and I agree with a lot
> of them - I've certainly heard enough about it, with two family
> members having Master's degrees in education, and one of those being
> directly involved in educational technology design.
>

> But if governments have decided to spent millions of dollars on
> hardware, whether it's a good decision or not, we may as well make the
> most of it.  I would *love* to see an OLPC-compatible HF message node
> that could be dropped in any village (or disaster area) and provide
> worldwide email capabilities with a minimal investment in infrastructure.
>

> Scott
> N1VG

Since the OLPC runs a Linux-based operating system, probably Xastir
could be made to run on it fairly easily.

Wonder if the sound system is sufficiently "normal" (i.e. PC-like) that
the Linux sound card TNC driver would work.   (Or is that implemented in
X86 code that won't run at all on the CPU in the OLPC?)

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps