[aprssig] RE: APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Nov 12 09:27:49 EST 2007

I'd like to work with a scout troop of youth with their OLPC's have fun exporing and setting up their ad-hoc wireless network in a simulated disaster area.  Just working at the local RF level would be fun.  Using ad-hoc antennas to get everyone linked up.

Then one or two of them could hook up a PSK-31 link out of the area to other scout troops.  Then they could all expore the multi-connectedness, etc.

More and more, ham radio uses laptops for fundamental tasks and I look forward to having access to a very low cost terminal.

Combined with a very low cost HT like Scott's and the sound card modem. then someone anywhwere at any time, could get an email out via one of the APRS satellites.

Remember, you may be simply stuck in the bottom of a ravine in Georgia and not get a packet out.  But ANYWHERE on the planet, and APRS email can get out a few times a day via the satellites.  That is why I think that all APRS and all AMSAT users should exercise this capability to know how to use it when the DO need it.

Jus a thought.

Bob, WB4APR
Bob, WB4APR