[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 11 22:24:10 EST 2007

One laptop for every child on the planet.
I have strong words which I cannot use.
Other than utterly LUDICRIOUS!

There are tens of millions of children in the US alone without health care.
Worldwide, the number is staggering.  But let's give them a computer.

What about:
* at least one decent meal a day
* an education
* a SAFE and adequate place to live, sleep, etc..
* a government not focused on power, wealth and self interests

Most folks only think in terms of what it is like in the "Good 'Ol USA"

WAKE UP!  If we think ONLY about this in USA terms, what will it solve?
Giving kids who live in primarily poor households a laptop, when they can't
Afford anything else, even dial-up Internet access?  Yet they *probably*
Live close enough to a public library that they can USE a computer whenever
They want.  BUT THEY CAN'T PLAY STUPID GAMES ON LIBRARY COMPUTERS!  GOOD!

"IS INTERNET ACCESS EVEN THAT VALUABLE?" Will it enrich a child's life?

I'm genuinely shocked.  Isn't this just another PORK BELLY PROGRAM?
LET'S FOCUS ON GIVING TROOPS IN IRAQ THOSE $1.57 MILLION DOLLAR HUMMERS
INSTEAD.  Raise the kids, teach 'em to fight and dominate the world, them
squander our money on arms.  That's the American way...

Or we could turn every kid on the planet into a Ham, ala a DIGITAL Ham,
Without appreciation for the fundamentals of the hobby, strictly so WE
Have access to cheap laptops...
</rant off>