[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Nov 11 20:20:16 EST 2007

I have my reservations about the OLPC project as a whole, but as long as
the hardware is out there, yeah, it would be a good idea to design to it.

The PSK31 link is something I've thought about for disaster response for
awhile.  I don't know about scaling it to thousands of users, but I
suppose the main limitation is available spectrum.

The primary purpose of the network I've envisioned would be text
messaging, both one-to-one and one-to-many, with support for multiple
levels of traffic priority.

A fixed network of relatively high-powered stations connected by a
separate backbone (possibly Internet, but not necessarily) would form
the basis of the system.  Individual stations would function basically
like two-way pagers, listening during assigned timeslots to determine if
and when incoming messages need to be received.  Assuming a fixed 3 kHz
RX passband, you could decode several incoming channels at once (a la
Digipan).  The coordinating stations would manage uplink channels and
timeslots to avoid collisions among remote stations.

Assuming a total of 300 bps available for uplink, with reasonable
compression and allowing for some overhead, you could handle maybe 3000
messages of 2k bytes each per day if your channel access scheme and
uplink scheduling are efficient enough to keep it running constantly.
It might not be instantaneous (especially not for low-priority traffic)
but waiting an hour or two for a message to get through is better than
having no connectivity at all.

Scott
N1VG