[aprssig] Predict

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:33:08 EST 2007

Hi Jim,

What are you desiring to do with the tracking program?

If you want to control a rotor or radios, predict can do a limited job at the rotor side by itself (I forget which brand it is programmed for), and nothing on the radio.  But the socket interface works well, and I have cobbled together a little program to drive my Yaesu rig.  There are probably some "real" rig control applications out there too, but I wanted to take the C compiler out for a spin instead.  And being open source, I modified the program itself to drive my homebrew rotor controller.  But, there's no eye candy unless you lash it up with something like gplanet (which I have not succeeded in doing myself), or consider a screen full of dancing numbers to be candy.  And, yes, run it from a bash shell window, or check the "run in terminal" box (KDE has it under advanced options on the application tab on a desktop icon) when you launch it.

gpredict does a really good job at the graphical interface (you can just download the source and compile it yourself - the script does all the work).  I see where the author intends to add the rotor and rig control, but they're still empty on my version.  Perhaps I'm missing a library or something...  I've got version 0.9.0.  So, if you need rig control, I don't think gpredict is for you.

There's also mtrack which is an older tracking program, if you can find it.  Again, a GUI program, but no rotor/rig control.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH