[aprssig] Re: Puxing PX-777

Danny Messano danny at messano.net
Wed Nov 7 17:35:22 EST 2007

I don't know.. The UHF freebanding that businesses were doing quieted down a
lot after FRS came along and the inclusion of GMRS into a lot of those
radios.

I agree that some will want the freedom of having hundreds of channels and
even an open VFO, or else there wouldn't be a market for Freeband 11 meter
gear..  But I also think if you give better access to that band, some of the
users that are freebanding VHF for, say, recreational use will start
standardizing on MURS channels.  "Channels" are a much easier concept to
remember for a lot of people, and right now they can't buy a "Channelized"
license-free VHF radio with ease.

I also agree that the legality isn't a big deterrent, but I think if there
was easy access to MURS radios people who didn't worry about the legal issue
before would pick a legal radio over a non-legal one.

dm