[aprssig] OT: ARRL Bulletin Motorola buys Yaesu ( ! )

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 6 13:36:40 EST 2007

If it's profitable, why get rid of it?  I'm more concerned about the HF
gear at this point, but then does Motorola still make any HF gear?

As for VHF, there are still plenty of players out there.  The Chinese
radios have gotten MUCH better over the last few years.  In fact, I just
started carrying one model, the Puxing PX-777.  The first shipment
showed up about an hour ago and I haven't even got them all unpacked.

It's about the size of the Yaesu VX-150.  I think the styling and feel
isn't quite as nice as the Yaesu, but it's lighter, thanks to the Li-Ion
battery, and it comes with a drop-in charger.  It certainly beats my
Icom T2H Sport, which is the only other thing I've bought in the same
price range.  The Icom is much bigger and comes without a rechargeable
battery, and the battery holder doesn't fit well.  The PX-777 I've been
testing has had no such problems.

Plus, it's authorized for Part 90 use.  I was told only the 'plus' model
had the ANI and scrambler features, but according to the box, the radios
I've got here have that too.  Obviously you can't use a scrambler on the
ham bands, but it could be useful for commercial users.

I'm selling them for $90 here:

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74

I'll post pictures and more information later.  Yeah, you can probably
find them cheaper from overseas on eBay, but at least if you get it from
me and it breaks, getting a replacement won't be a problem.

Hams in the US should expect to see more radios from China in the near
future.  I've been talking to two more vendors that I met with in Hong
Kong that are both getting their first FCC-approved models ready now.
One is producing a model specifically for the ham market.  It's more
expensive than the PX-777, but it looks nice.  I'll get a sample as soon
as they have one available.  The other vendor wasn't really going for
the amateur market, but had a very nice compact 4-watt HT that felt as
well-built as the VX-150.

What I *really* want is a radio that the manufacturer will let me tinker
with the firmware.  Maybe if I buy enough of them I'll have some
leverage.  I don't think it's going to happen with Puxing, though.

I think I'm going to go down to the local hang glider/paraglider
training hill and offer all of those guys a discount on these things so
they can move to the USHPA commercial frequency and get their unlicensed
people off 2 meters...

Scott
N1VG