[aprssig] GPS Hardware Vendors Buying Up Mapping Data Vendors

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 20:13:59 EST 2007

The latest UI like the old crossed with the new.  As it goes, it's an
extremely useful tool to have in my day job.  Besides, I'm in favor
of supporting local Maine business.

It doesn't hurt that Delorme has this place mapped properly
too.  Garmin and Tomtom take their good sweet time to update.  For
half a decade everyone had my actual road shifted 1000+ feet off (as
well as the other areas).  I'm guessing someone imported from a
different datum.  As it went, every package was wrong for a
while.  Last I checked, Garmin still was, Tomtom fixed it, and
Delorme fixed it ahead of everyone.

It's always possible that Delorme has an 'in' at Maine Office of
GIS.  It seems many states are getting into mapping their own areas.

--Droo, K1XVM