[aprssig] Voice Repeater NO-TONE

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 23:42:07 EST 2007

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Regarding NO-TONE:
>
> The D710 needs to parse it so that when you see someone with their frequency and tone, then pushing the TUNE button will tune the radio immediately to that station.
>
> RIght now the D710 does not adjust the tone, but that was because we still had not standardized on the TNNN at the time.  Now I hope  they will see that we can get a standard going so that the radio will parse it.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Now THAT is really is forward-looking thinking.   Cool.....

Now to throw a monkey wrench into the works:

How do we accomodate DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) a.k.a DPL ("Digital PL
- Motorola) a.ka. DCG (Digital Channel Guard - GE) a.k.a DCTS (Digital
Coded Tone Squelch - Icom) into this scheme???

More and more of the newer radios can now encode/decode the 100+ DCS
codes that actually superimposes a continuous stream of digital data, at
about 131baud, on the transmitted signal instead of a simple sine wave
single CTCSS tone.   Sooner or later, we are going to see repeaters
going to DCS.  Though most likely mostly closed systems with a small
group of hard core "techie" members.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map