[aprssig] "Battle of the TNCs" with WA8LMF's TNC Test CD?

Steve Bragg steve at hamhud.net
Tue May 29 21:49:22 EDT 2007

APRSers,

I've searched the list archives, but I can't find anything on this.  Has
anyone done comparisons of TNCs using Track 1/Track 2 of WA8LMF's TNC
Test CD?  I'm trying to debug/benchmark the TNC for HamHUD V, but I only
have the TNC-X and MFJ TNCs to compare it against (my KPC3+ died long
ago).  I want to make sure it is decoding all right under stressful
conditions.

I would like to have a decoded packet count on Track 1 (or Track 2) for
any or all of the following TNCs (WITH PASSALL OFF):

- KPC-3+
- Kenwood TH-D7a
- Kenwood TM-D700
- Alinco DR-135t
- OpenTracker
- TNC-X  (I got 564 packets on Track 1)
- Any TAPR-2-like TNC (e.g., MFJ-1270B/C)
- PacComm

or anything else you can find.

I know audio level matters some, but data with varying volumes is better
than no data at all, at least to me.

The test only takes 25 minutes, and the CD is inexpensive/free, so hook
those TNCs up to your CD player!

Thanks & 73,

Steve Bragg KA9MVA