[aprssig] smartbeacon fast rate

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Mon May 28 21:08:22 EDT 2007

One more question about smart beacon....

Let's say I'm exiting the interstate on a cloverleaf.  My min beacon
interval is set to 30 seconds.  As I begin my 270degree turn, corner
pegging causes a beacon that shows me headed about 30degrees away from
the interstate.  I continue to turn for the next 20 seconds, and I'm
on the other interstate now.  The 30 second timer kept my tracker from
beaconing several times during my 270 turn... which is good... But
when will it beacon again?  Or does the fact that it wanted to
transmit get queued up and since it wanted to transmit but couldn't
(because of the 30 second timer)?

Will the tracker:
A)transmit as the 30 second timer expires? (queued transmission behavior)
B)At the next mile interval because the timer simpy precluded any
transmissions? (lockout transmission behavior?)

I think the current correct answer is B... but that leaves my car
being dead reconed at the inital cloverleaf escape azimuth until I
beacon again.  Now if i'm in bumper to bumper traffic travelling 15
mph, that means it would be 4 or 5 minutes before anyone knew I was
actually out of the cloverleaf.

To be honest, I'm setting up these questions such that a couple of
exceptions might be covered and _perhaps_ a slight change be made to
smart beaconing to make it even better.

Wes

On 5/28/07, Steve Jones <steve.jones at rogers.com> wrote:

> On May 28, 2007, at 7:24 PM, Dale Seaburg wrote:
>
> The answer is no.
> Keep in mind that if Wes wants to make sure his parked position is marked,
> he can press the "Beacon Now" button on the front of the hud once
> stationary.
>

> --
>
> Steve <steve.jones at rogers.com>

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.