[aprssig] I almost understand WIDEn-N

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat May 26 23:21:15 EDT 2007

> I think I get it, basically the little n doesn't
> really do anything.

When I first came up with WIDE-N in 1994, there was no little "n".  But when we actually got around to implementing it for real for the first time, it was immediately obvious that we had to have a way of knowing how the packet started, since all packets would arrive as WIDE-0.

So we added the little "n" so each packet would show how many hops it had been.  It is deceiving to make "n" different from "N", and bad amateur practice.

Bob, WB4APR