[aprssig] smartbeacon fast rate

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri May 25 08:44:35 EDT 2007

At 09:19 PM 5/24/2007, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
>I've seen in several posts in the past few days a couple of people
>setting their fast speed from anywhere 65 to 90mph (presumably) in
>automotive use.

         I used to set my fast speed at 240 MPH with a beacon rate of
15 seconds.  That gave me a posit every 1 mile, even if I should
install the HamHUD in an airplane.  I later changed to the beacon
rate of 45 seconds, giving me a posit every 3 miles.  As for corner
pegging, at that time I simply set the corner angle way high, up
around 60 degrees and maxed out the slope.

><snip>
>The way I learnt this was observing my basic stamp running on a laptop
>as I travelled between two main towns.  I made it print out a bunch of
>variables and began to see WHY it was triggering so much.  There are
>so many variables in smart beaconing that w/o a display, it's hard to
>know which thing caused it to beacon.

         Just as you say, there are also multiple ways of controlling
the beacons so it isn't so chatty.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham