[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu May 24 09:12:53 EDT 2007

Ahhh....there is no one answer to this questions, that's why they have
adjustments, just like the fixed rate in the Kenwoods (and most APRS software
that I've seen). Different people have different needs, thus different
settings.

Personally, I think for every day driving a valid setup is as follows:
Fast Speed      60 MPH
Fast Rate      180 seconds
Slow Speed       5 MPH
Slow Rate     1800 seconds
Min Turn Time   60 seconds
Min Turn Angle  30 degrees

That's one beacon every 3 miles unless you make a turn.
--
William
KI4HDU