[aprssig] GPS attachment for Kenwood TH-D7?

David Rush david at rushtone.com
Thu May 24 08:33:39 EDT 2007

Greg:

I've not yet built anything, but I'm seriously considering something
similar to what you're describing.

I've had good luck with the Deluo GPS units. My next project will likely
be using a dry-cell pack to house the 5 VDC power converter for the GPS,
as well as interconnects.

I'd drill a hole in the battery case to feed in 12 VDC (or 13.8 from a
car cig lighter socket). That would internally split to feed power to
the 5 VDC converter, and feed another short wire just long enough to
jumper to the radio's external power input on the corner of the radio
(unless I was confident I could safely feed power in through the battery
contacts - not sure about that). I'd also have a connector for the Deluo
coming out of the battery case, and a short jumper for the GPS data wire
from the battery case to the radio's GPS input plug.

I could mount some sort of bracket on the back of the battery case to
hold the GPS unit itself, although it would make it difficult to grab
the radio and hang it on my belt for safe keeping when I'm parked.

This is focused on a minimum fuss vehicle setup - obviously it needs
external power.

73, David, ky7dr