[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 21:32:35 EDT 2007

> > I have plenty of experience with it.  Most any day,  most
any
> > time.  All I have to do in my APRS is hit the SORT by LOAD
> > button and see who is hitting out 99 beacons per hour (the
max I
> > capture), and it invariably is people running smart
beaconing.

> Well then tell me what your settings are -- just what
> SmartBeaconing settings do YOU use?

I don't.  That is why I am asking for input from those that do
as to what are the recommended settings for best utility while
not overloading the network if left on forever.

> From what I can see, you have ZERO experience with it.
> Until you actually TRY it for yourself, you cannot
> claim to have any experience with it.

Re-read my paragraph.  My experience with it is what I see it
can do to the network when it is set up improperly.  My
objective is not to maximize my tracks at the expense of others,
but to find algorithms that best share the 1200 baud network for
everyone.

> Instead of bashing SmartBeaconing, why not come up with
> some settings YOU would like?

I don't bash smart-beaconing.  I want to see protection
algorithms built into it to spare the network from incorrect
settings. . I don't use it so I  think it is better to ask those
that do to help us come up with a consensus on a settings
algorithm that would be best for everyone. . To protect us
>From mistakes.

Bob, WB4APR