[aprssig] RAFT Commanding URGENTLY needed

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 14:39:54 EDT 2007

TONIGHTS RAFT COMMANDING NEEDED:

Tonights two RAFT Radar passes are:
The first is over Alabama at 05:40:50 UTC
That is 01:40 AM EDT and 00:40 AM CDT (just after midnight)

The second Radar penetration is over New Mexico
At 07:09:35 UTC or 02:09 AM CDT and 01:09 MDT

The web page now has a sign up post for commanders and
monitoring stations.  But it is manual, so send me an email if
you can do this.  And read the page in detail.  Just check to
see if you have a better than 10 degree shot at RAFT in the
minute prior to that instant.  Use LATEST keps, since drag is
HIGH on re-entry.

Only stations with multi-element 2 meter beams and a pre-amp for
receive are in a good chance of helping.  But failing that, if
it is overhead your station, a lesser station may do.   Thanks,
Bob, WB4APR

progress).
> But at least it now has a MAP of where stations can be.
>
> If you have a good 2m beam station with preamp and are in the
> footprint as shown above, then check the web page later this
> evening as the web page develops and start getting ready if
you
> think you can do it.  We really need an all hands effort here.
>
> Thanks
> Bob, WB4APR
> US Naval Academy Satellite Lab

Texas

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/ande-raft-ops.html

> > Thanks, WB4APR, Bob

needed

> > We only have 7 days left in this operating period and really
> do
> > need a good OSCAR station in the Southern USA in a line from
> AZ
> > to GA to conduct this test of RAFT flying through the 80
> > megawatt radar transmitter beam originated in north Texas.
> >
> > There is only one viable pass per day per command station
> > location in the early evening....  The trick is to command
the
> > satellite to turn on its downlink carrier and Radar receiver
> > exactly 30 seconds prior to passing
> > through the fence and then having an audio recorder running
> > "hear" (record) the tone when we pass through the radar
beam.

> > Commands are a simple CONNECT XXXX at the cmd: propt, then
an
> > exchange of passwords, and then sending a simple typed
command
> > at the right time.
> >
> > RAFT can he HEARD just fine on ALL FIVE passes leading up to
> > this last pass per day, so you can test your RECEIVE
> capability
> > on any pass, but can only command in the dark (due to
> > overcharging on batteries makes uplink receier deaf)...
> >
> > If anyone can conduct this test please let us know.  Only
one
> > person per pass can attempt this, so we want the best gun at
> the
> > stick.  Fully conversent at the TNC "cmd:" prompt and
> preerably
> > with experimence with the KPC3+ remote-sysop command mode.
> >
> > Bob, WB4APR
> > USNA Satelite Lab

downlink.