[aprssig] HP Calculator program for APRS

gerheim at cox.net gerheim at cox.net
Wed May 16 10:24:43 EDT 2007

I just upgraded an astronomy and satellite tracking  program for the HP-50G
calculator.  It now uses the serial port to realize some APRS features.

It was intended for the Kenwood TH-D7A(G) HT, but can be used with almost any
APRS rig.

See http://members.cox.net/above and http://members.cox.net/above/ABOVE2.html
for details.

The intended application is for extremly portable APRS.  If you're backpacking
or canoeing in remote areas, it might allow you to leave the PC behind, but
still get most of its functionality.

It's mostly for satellite use.  It'll set off alarms in the calculator (which
may be powered off) which will start and stop an APRS beacon when a specific set
of satellites is visible.  It'll permit fixed or moving position reports.

I'm looking at upgrades which will allow better display of incoming data
compared to the HT itself.

I'm looking for suggestions.  The screen is 12 lines by 33 characters, and it
gives you a little more real-estate, and a more buttons, than the HT.  The
interface can be somewhat enhanced compared to the bare HT.  It'll also allow
you to store and view incoming data.

--
-Al Gerheim, K1QN