[aprssig] Re: California roadtrip

Arno Verhoeven (PE1ICQ) pe1icq at sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl
Mon May 14 17:03:35 EDT 2007

Thanks to you all for the info and suggestions.
Seems like I don't have to worry about coverage. So I only need to
resolve the antenna mount issue.

> I cannot think of a Class A that will support a mirror mount antenna.
> Every brand of RV that comes to mind, have enclosed, encased, mirrors
> with controls to adjust the mirrors. I have not seen any current mirrors
> with 1/2 inch diameter tubes to support mirrors.
>
> Things may be different on Class C or Class B motor homes.
>
> Also, since the Class A is normally skinned in fiberglass, a huge magnet
> arraignment is out too. Again, a Class B or Class C would have steel
> surfaces.

This is the type of RV we have rented:
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/images/rent/standard_rv_sm.jpg
The reservation mentions class C25, so hopefully the top is steel...
It's a bit difficult to see on that picture if the mirrors on that
vehicle can accommodate a mirror-mount bracket. But mirrors are quite
low compared to the rest of the vehicle, so it doesn't seem a good
mounting point.
I wonder if the air conditioning unit on the roof (or is that the
generator?) is ferrous metal? I that case I could put a mag mount on it.
Or, if the part over the cab is made from polyester I could simply
ducttape a 1/4 wave length piece of wire on the slanted vertical part?

--
73, PE1ICQ  Arno Verhoeven