[aprssig] Lasting Compatibility of the D700a

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Fri May 11 13:28:26 EDT 2007

>From an economic perspective, there's a major advantage to field updatable
firmware.  If updating the firmware requires factory service, then the cost
of any bug is going to be high - either the cost to correct it, or the
dissatisfaction of the end user in having to use a flawed product.
Accordingly, the cost of testing is high, and it multiplies the cost of any
new feature added.  There's not as much incentive to include all the bells
and whistles when they introduce more potential bugs.

I'm not saying "ship now, patch later" as practiced by some software
manufacturers is a good policy (I've seen games in particular that were
almost totally broken out of the box) but when you only have to catch 99% of
the bugs instead of 99.99%, you can save a lot of time and money.  You can
also make an upgrade to the latest firmware the first step in your support
process, so you only have to support one firmware version.

Scott
N1VG