[aprssig] APRS and the Interstates

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 11 12:14:52 EDT 2007

> What about putting local Highway Patrol offices
> out as an object? ... in an emergency it might
> be nice to know where they are...

I donno, I'd probably not want to see these clutter up my
radio's list and my map.  These are the kinds of things that
should be in the local APRSdata base so that they will show up
from a Query. (Assuming someone is running the APRSdata engine
in the area, or the comparable APRSkiosk program.

Three Reminders:

1)  There is only one Btext available in each digipeater.  The
best use of this in every digi, is the locally recommended
voice-repeater-object, which is of great value to a traveler
entering the area.

2)  These local Btext objects are sent DIRECT so they cover only
the area of immediate interest that can hit the voice repeater,
and since they are originated by the DIGI, they add zero
congestion load to the channel.

3)  Conversly we generally do *not* want to see permanent local
voice repeater objects originated by home stations and other
clients.  These are usually transmitted more than one hop (QRM),
go outside the area where they have any value (SPAM), and are
originated at the home station where they cannot hear what the
digi hears, and so they add a load to the congested channel
(QRM).

We have a voice repeater object in our area 443.XX MHz, that is
being sent out by a local client via WIDE2-2 (which is almost
100 miles from where the repeater is..  This packet covers 5
states and about 40,000 square miles of the highest density APRS
network in the world.  Yet, a mobile can only work it if it is
within 20 miles of it.

And it is colocated with a digi at the same site.  It would be
better for everyone and the network if only that digi
transmitted that object as a BText and only DIRECT to the same
RF coverage area where it can be used.  Not the 5 states
surrounding it.

Bob, WB4aPR