[aprssig] TH-D7AG in the U.K.

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Fri May 4 05:13:04 EDT 2007

As to APRS "Paths" etc...

The "Recommended" path for the UK (at the moment) seems to be
"RELAY,TRACE7-7" (without the quotes!)

But...  You will find that does not work everywhere.  Widen-N will work
in many places (WIDE1-1,WIDE5-5) but either way, coverage can be patchy
to say the least, with huge holes in what network there is, especially
when you are away from a major town or motorway.  Even in towns and
cities, and on major motorways, coverage is often poor to non existent,
even if you run 50W out!  Although the 2m band FM usage is supposed to
be 12.5kHz channel spacing, including Data, in practice, use the normal
5kHz deviation setting, the default for the D7AG I suspect.

Callsigns:  Most travelling visitors just use their normal call, with
(or more often without) anything in the posit comment string.  After
all, if there is a problem, we know where you are! (Or were...)   If you
have to, use the new prefix M/yourcall or MW/yourcall etc in the comment
field.

Digi's:  Some about, but don't rely on one if you hear it, it may be
gone in a few hours time (unattended operation is not "switch it on and
leave it" here like it is in the US)  Likewise many "home" I-Gates, very
fleeting appearances to say the least.

The major I-Gates call's will start with MB7, they are permanent
fixtures (such as we can do) but again don't rely on all of them being
set up to gate from Internet to RF for "Local" stations, so APRS
messaging can be a tad unreliable.

Sadly, a barefoot D7 on it's own whip, will not get very far at all on
APRS in the UK, unless you are very close to a gate or digi.  You'll
have more luck with voice repeaters and maybe simplex call's  (145.500
and 433.500 FM simplex calling)

Check out the RSGB's website (http://www.rsgb.org/) for links to the
repeater management pages, where you can perhaps get a list of known
repeaters, locations, and frequencies etc.
http://www.ukrepeater.net/repeaterlist.htm too...

Take care with repeater shifts and band edges, 2m = 144 to 146, and
70cms = 430 to 440, but within 100kM of the centre of London (Charring
Cross) you cannot use 431 to 432!  (Most 70cms FM activity is between
432.5 and 435, including repeater inputs)  Above and below our 2m band,
there are several services that can get "rather miffed" if you
repeatedly (even if accidentally) stomp on one of their RX channels.

The paging (POCSAG) transmitters that are not far from 2m, run high
power (150W the last time I checked) and yes, can and often do cause
problems with front end clobering of much amateur equipment.  If your
hotel has one near (or on top of!) it, you will have problems.

Bring a copy of your licence doc's, and any CEPT papers.  Then if you
get pulled by Customs, you have some evidence that you are a licensed
Amateur, or they might want to confiscate your radio.  (Highly unlikely,
but if they want to, they can, and there is nothing you can do to change
it!)  So long as you have a departure date to leave the UK (not an
"Open" ticket) you should be fine even if you do get pulled.

99.9% of the time, people carry Ham gear in and out of the UK with no
problems at all, but it's the 0.1% that get queried by a spiky customs
officer who got out of bed the wrong side, and then it's not fun at all.

Oh yes, our mains voltage (for battery charging) is 230V 50Hz  Check
your portable charger input spec's (and anything else you may bring)
You can buy plug/socket adapters at the airport, and in some major
hotels too.  12V sockets in cars are the "normal" dodgy cigarette
lighter types.

Warning!  You may see some things advertised as "converters" for 115V
appliances to work on 230V.  Unless they specify they are a step-down or
"Auto" transformer (and are obviously heavy) they are more often than
not, just a diode in series with the supply!  "Heating" appliances (hair
driers) etc will probably work somehow, but other more delicate
electronic devices will still see one half of the 230V waveform, with
predictable results.

Lastly. Mobile Phones:  GSM900, GSM1800 and 3G are supported in the UK
(and EU)  Check your provider and enable international roaming, if not
already done.  Dialling code for the 'states, 001 then area code etc..

Enjoy your stay in the UK, remember to drive on the left, and do not use
a hand held phone when driving!

73

Dave G0WBX.
This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk