[aprssig] Understanding packet

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu May 3 18:44:45 EDT 2007

I wrote up some of this at http://n1vg.net/packet.

As someone pointed out to me recently, it doesn't actually seem to be NRZI as commonly documented, but maybe more properly NRZ-S.  That is, a change in tones encodes a zero, and no change encodes a one.

The bit stuffing is there to ensure enough transitions to keep from losing sync.  Your transmitter and receiver usually don't have exactly the same idea of how long one bit period is, and if you go too long with no transitions then they can drift apart.  The way it works is that the sender inserts a zero (transition) every time there's a run of 5 ones, except in the case of the 0x7e flag.

0x7e marks the start and end of the frame.  You're better off sending zeros (alternating tones) in the txdelay time to get faster receiver lock.

The frame check sequence is a CRC-CCITT16.

Scott
N1VG
  _____