[aprssig] TH-D7AG in the U.K.

Iain Young g7iii at g7iii.net
Wed May 2 16:07:43 EDT 2007

Hi David,

You Wrote:

> Are G/<callsign> and M/<callsign> equally valid for England (as well as
> the two-letter equivalents for the other UK bits)?  Any reason to pick
> one over the other, other than fondness for one letter over the other?

As far as I'm aware yes, both are equally valid, as both G, and M are
allocated to Great Britain by the ITU. Ditto with 2, but you need 2E
in that case.

No real reason to choose one over the other, although if you're going
mobile with voice, M/KY7DR/M might get a bit repetitive/confusing, let
alone Martime Mobile. Not so important with APRS I guess.

Historically G was used before the M callsigns came along, however
they've been with us long enough now that everyone pretty much knows
both.

A few other points that may be of interest:

1) VHF Repeater outputs are 145.600 thru to 145.775 on 2m, Originally
25kHz spacing, these days 12.5kHz, but a lot of the "older" repeaters
will be on their original channels. Inputs are -600kHz. Access may be
via CTCSS tones, or 1750Hz tone-burst

2) UHF Repeater outputs are 433.000 thru to 433.375, 25kHz spacing,
Inputs are +1600kHz. Same as on 2m on the access.

3) Simplex on 2m is 145.200 thru to 145.575, 12.5kHz spacing, 70cms
is 433.400 thru to 433.575, 25kHz spacing.

73s

Iain