[aprssig] APRS Wiki vandalism

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 1 19:29:40 EDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 01:32:21PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott at opentrac.org> flavor, containing:
> What would everyone think of migrating to MediaWiki if I can get it up and running?  I don't know if there's any automated content migration utility - it might take a lot of cut-and-paste.

I do prefer MediaWiki to the one we've got, but the real issue is that the
editing privileges need to be locked down so that bots can't vandalize it.  As
Tapio points out, once they find us, eventually it'll be a non-stop thing.

MediaWiki does have a mode that requires email confirmation before allowing
editing, and can have a time-delay of hours or days before an account gets
those privileges.  It is also possible to have a set of permissions managed
by a sysop, and never automatically grant edit privileges.  That latter one
is where we went with the Xastir wiki, but perhaps the less drastic
confirm-by-email-then-wait approach would be enough for the APRS wiki.

Seems to me that if we can do any of those things with Wikka Wakka Wiki then
changing the wiki software would not be necessary.  But moving without
implementing user controls is pointless, too.

In the meantime, I've taken the liberty of adding links to the documentation
that explains how to revert bad edits in Wikka, so at least the instructions
are readily available.