[aprssig] Two More Tier 2 Servers for your use!

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 30 00:15:35 EDT 2007

> While there has been great debate over the pros and
> cons of [tier1 and tier2 systems] it remains simply
> a CHOICE for APRS operators.
>
> Sometimes having a CHOICE isn't a bad thing.

And dont forget the third choice which is to CONNECT A RADIO!
Operate APRS the way it was intended.  A local real-time tactical RF network informing everyone in the local area about everything going on in Ham radio live and now, right outside your shack...

If nothing is going on, then do something in Ham radio.  APRS is not an end in itself.  It is just a single common signalling channel anywhere and everywhere to share HAM radio in real time so that everyone is informed on a single channel of anything that might be happening (all around on any other freq, or band or what-have-you).

If you are doing something in ham radio that anyone else might be interested in, put it out on APRS. An object, A bulletin, A location, A freq, an area, a heading, a bearing, a meeting, a net, some DX, some news, etc... APRS was never just a vehicle tracking system.  Its too bad that is all most people see...

Is it because no one is doing anything else in Ham radio?  No, its because we arent remembering to use this common channel to inform others of everything going on..  We can do better.  And I DONT mean 24/7 bulletins and 24/7 objects and 24/7 SPAM spread far beyond the local area.

Dont miss the local trees in your RF domain because of the global APRS forest...

Sorry, I ramble...
Stump-off
Bob, WB4APR

In ANY case I highly recommend that you have more than one server for your
APRS program to attach to. I've seen cases where an ISP lost a lot of their
direct connectivity to the West but kept a connection to the East. While
that shouldn't be enough of a drop in the ISP's bandwidth to kick you off an
APRS server, Murphy is always waiting in the wings.