[aprssig] Two More Tier 2 Servers for your use!

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Thu Mar 29 22:05:22 EDT 2007

The Tier2 Network is nothing more than a way to relieve some of the load off
of the Tier1 Servers. While there has been great debate over the pros and
cons of such a system (Tier2) it remains simply a CHOICE for APRS operators.

You can connect to one of the Tier1 servers, such as
http://first.aprs.net:14501/ (Stats page) or http://first.aprs.net:14580
(Filter Port that you can attach your APRS program to). For a better
understanding of "Filter Ports" you can refer to
http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSSrvr/javaprsfilter.htm.

Or you can take some of the load off of the handful of Tier1 servers and
connect to one of the 38 Tier2 Servers such as
http://nebraska.aprs2.net:14501/ (Stats Page) or
http://nebraska.aprs2.net:14580 (filter port that you can attach your APRS
program to).  There is even a "Round Robin" (mostly random choice) of one of
the Tier2 servers by connecting to http://rotate.aprs2.net:14580.

Tier2 servers are most certainly NOT a replacement for Tier1 servers they
are only a CHOICE that APRS operators can pick from. Tier2 servers have a
direct connection to Tier1 servers so they all have the same data available.
If you agree that spreading out the APRS load over many servers instead of a
handful is a good idea then connect to a Tier2 server. If you think having
only a handful of servers is the best route to go then connect to a Tier1
server. Sometimes having a CHOICE isn't a bad thing.

In ANY case I highly recommend that you have more than one server for your
APRS program to attach to. I've seen cases where an ISP lost a lot of their
direct connectivity to the West but kept a connection to the East. While
that shouldn't be enough of a drop in the ISP's bandwidth to kick you off an
APRS server, Murphy is always waiting in the wings.