[aprssig] D700 vs Prius

TGatje at aol.com TGatje at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 16:59:25 EDT 2007

Greetings,

I am relatively new to this list but have seen some discussion of
installation of Kenwood TM-D700As in various vehicles.

For a new wrinkle (for me) I want to install the radio in a Toyota Prius.
It, of course, has some issues.

First, it has a relatively small capacity 12VDC battery. This battery
basically runs the control system and computers. All the heavy lifting is done  by
the 200VDC battery. Therefore I believe I won't be able to let the  system run
continuously when the vehicle is parked.

Second, the Prius is basically a "drive by wire" vehicle, heavy on  computers
and such. I'm worried that the presence of a transmitter in the car  may
cause some malfunction. The last comment of the Experience center was that
unapproved modifications may void the warranty! Contact with the dealer and the
"Toyota Customer Experience Center" have not been any help. I believe someone on
this list mentioned seeing a bulletin saying transmitters in Priuses are okay
up  to about 100 watts but I've not been able to find anyone at Toyota to
verify  that.

Third, suggestions on wire routing, power tap locations, etc would be
appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience installing a D700 in a Prius? Or have any
advice on how to minimize problems? If you've seen their bulletin on installed
transmitters, please let me know where to find it.

I receive this list in the digest mode so answers from me may be slow. You
can also contact me direct at:
_TGatje at aol.com_ (mailto:TGatje at aol.com)

Thanks for any assistance

Tam