[aprssig] D7's,D700's and TinyTrak

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Mon Mar 19 18:47:32 EDT 2007

Whooee, you must have thin skin if you found that insulting.

Now a PICAXE 08M could have 3-4 serial ports and that is the little 8
pin critter. A BS2 has 16 pins and theoretically each of them could
do serial. If you consider a 'port' to be to be bidirectional, at two
pins per 'port' that gets you 8 ports on a BS2. If you are rolling in
bucks you could do a BS2P40 and that has 32 i/o pins and that would
get you 16 ports.

That said, for anything beyond Wes' original implementation you are
right that a Stamp won't do the job. However, it doesn't have
anything to do with the number of ports. A Basic Stamp , even the on-
steroids BS2PX would have a hernia handling serial i/o on several io
ports simultaneously.

I went back and reread your explanation and appears to me only to add
more complexity without ever addressing the original flaw which lies
in how  the D700 does things ... and before you run off with your
jockey shorts in a knot (yes that is mildly insulting) what I am
doing is criticizing what I saw as flaws in your proposal and
pointing out that it had been done years ago and found lacking. If
you and your idea cannot stand up to peer review then why should
anyone take it serious? If indeed you have thought of a better way
then restate your thesis and show us how it resolves/bypasses the
underlying D700 problem.

---
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <http://web.mac.com/brianbr/>  Tech Blog
   <http://www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe.shtml>
    Home of the
       K107 Serial LCD Controller Kit   FT817 Power Conditioner Kit
       Tab Robot Laser Tag Kit            MSP430 Chips and Connectors
       Propeller Robot Controller         SX48 "Tech Board" Kit