[aprssig] APRS in 8 bullets

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 16 18:54:28 EDT 2007

> Having primarily used APRS only for balloons, I'm not
> sure that I know how to actually enter an object.

Actually, an "object" is no different from any other position
report in APRS, though it does have a particluar format that
allows station XXXXX to send the positon for "thing" named
YYYYY.  But other than that, I consider an OBJECT and any other
poition report to be identical.  It is simply something that
someone put on the map.

> Would I need a fully-functional, RF-capable APRS program
> to do this, or is there an easier way (e.g., a web-based
> way)?

Yes, any client software that interfaces to the WEB can
originate an object and everyone else on the web can see it,
though it will not go to RF anywhere without special
arrangements at those locations.

> Can the Kenwood radios do this?... I just might pick one up.

YES!  See my first paragraph.  I put "objects" on the map
frequently with my D7 or D700.  All you do is bring up the MENU
for MYCALL.  Change the entry to the name of the object (though
it must be only 6 bytes long (must meet the limits of a
callsign)... Then send out your position a few times, and
everyone around you and the global APRS system will capture it.
Then change your call back to your callsign and move on.

Everyone else will still see the object where you transmitted
it.  If you want to send an object at a different location, then
bring up the POSIT MENU and enter the coordinates there.  So
yes, anyone with a D7 or D700  can enter a 6 character named
object as described.

The advantage of using client software is that the object name
then does not need to fit into a 6 character callsign field.
But things like WRECK, TRAFFC, FIRE, TREE, POLICE, COP, FLOOD,
NET, MEETNG, HAMFST, EYEBLL, LAUNCH, DEMO, etc can easily be
entered on a D7 or D700 to inform others around you where
something is happening.  And likewise they FLASH on the front
panel of all surrounding mobiles with these radios...

> I would love to show our balloon launches, for example, as
> they are happening - so that if someone wants to come out and
> join us, they can.

EXACTLY!  Yes, that is the idea of APRS.  Inform everyone around
you that something is HAPPENING now in HAM radio.  "Come on
down!"  As they say...

Bob, Wb4APR

> Thanks.
>
> 73,
> Robert
> KC8UCH
>

> On 3/16/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>
> 	I was asked for a very brief summary of APRS today, and
here is
> 	what I came up with, from the top down.  For what it is
worth,
> 	this is how I see the objectives of APRS:
>
> 	1) Realtime local data exchange/display of all
surrounding HAM
> 	radio activities
> 	2) Positions, objects, mobiles, weather, Nets,
Bulletins,
> 	messages, Dfing and other assets
> 	3) Active objects: Voice repeaters, Hamfests,
Echo/IRLP/Winlink
> 	nodes, Traffic, Satellites in view,etc
> 	4) Local Area coverage 2 hops via digipeaters
> 	5) Global coverage via Igates and FINDU and web services
> 	6) Stations: Home, Mobile Displays, Mobile trackers,
telemetry
> 	7) Messaging: Worldwide, Email, QRZ lookup, etc
> 	8) Summary: APRS - Your window on Ham radio around you.
>
> 	If I left anythign out, lemme know...
>
> 	I am often disappointed that people do not put out
objects, and
> 	bulletins WHEN something in ham radio is going on in the
local
> 	area.  I want to see that on my mobile APRS radio.  I
want to
> 	see LIVE objects when there is any gathering of hams for
any
> 	interesting purpose.  I want to see bulletins on the day
of
> 	local meetings and nets.
>
> 	Conversly, I am quite disappointed when I see some of
the above
> 	coming in from 100 miles away, 24/7 years on end.  What
I want
> 	to see on my radio front panel is what is happening
right now,
> 	not SPAM.
>
> 	I fear too many people view APRS as watching the grass
grow, so
> 	they never look closely for real time, because they
don't expect
> 	to see it.  And they don't put it out, because no one is
> 	watching in real time.
> 	APRS is not an end in itself.  It was supposed to be
> live action
> 	in real time about everythign going on in ham radio in
the local
> 	area with live updates.  *Not just APRS itself*.
>
> 	Lets get those local-direct Voice Freqnecy objects on
the air,
> 	lets all make an object whenever we go to a meeting
> (you can put
> 	that in your D700 when you arrive in the parking lot as
a beacon
> 	for others to find the meeting place)...  Lets see
HAMfest
> 	announcements.  Lets see NETS in progress bulletins.
Etc..