[aprssig] APRS Text to speech

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Thu Mar 8 22:04:25 EST 2007

Does it spell words that are in all caps? for example... is AI4PX spelled a
i  4  p  x    or is it pronounced ayyyyy four picks.

On a humorous note... my wife gets really irritated listening to my "frogger
beep" d700 esp in an active area, I can well imagine this device reading off
all packets would make a road trip with her that much more enjoyable.  Kinda
like the time I set the overspeed alarm on the GPS to 72mph when she was
driving.  ;-)

Wes

On 3/8/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> The ANDE and RAFT satellites add APRS Packet-to-VOICE synthesis
> by simply connecting a speech module to the serial port of the
> TNC and making one addition to convert the HEADER of a packet
> into "CALLSIGN SAYS..." and then speaks the rest of the packet.
>
> We all know how hard it is to set up a VOICE repeater out in the
> field, compared to how easy it is to set up a DIGIpeater.  AND a
> DIGI can go multiple hops.
>
> Imagine plopping down 2 coffee-can digi's on hilltops and then
> being able to use APRS to send VOICE to an RF area 3 links away.
> Trivial done.
>
> Yes, the applications are small, but it is a nice thing to have
> in your tool kit.  Well, the reason we have not pushed this is
> that the module we were using cost $199 and hams just wont pay
> that much.  But I just found out that PARALLAX sells a complete
> module for only $59.
>
> http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30006
>
> This is much more like it.
>
> Remember, that since 1995, APRS has defined a test-to-speech
> protocol.  If any string in any APRS packet begins with a %,
> then the client (if it has a voice) is supposed to speak that
> part of the packet.
>
> The D700's will SPEAK such packets, (but it has a very very
> limited vocabulary, and few people have the speech module.  But
> APRSdos had no voice, but would sound out the words in CW.
> WinAPRS would speak it. I assume that other clints will also
> speak too.
>
> But with the addition of a $59 moudle to any TNC, you can now
> have voice in a remote box without having to have a client.
>
> Anyway, we need to think about how we do this.  A pic could do
> to old TNC's what the KPC-3+ in ANDE and RAFT do.  That is,
> convert the header to speech. Etc...
>
> Anyone?
>
> Bob, WB4APR

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.