[aprssig] D7's,D700's and TinyTrak

Steve Bragg steve at hamhud.net
Tue Mar 6 13:59:39 EST 2007

Rod,VE1BSK asked:

> Could a TinyTrak.  or other device with SmartBeaconing be harnessed to one of the Kenwood rigs in the PTT mode
> of Beacon Transmit Method so that a Kenwood's beaconing would be under the control of SmartBeaconing.
> I wonder what would be done with the data from the TT as that would already be available from the Kenwood?
> Could the GPS signal be split between the two radios? I presume this idea has been considered and discarded
> but I would like to know more details, if available, Thanks,73 de Rod.

Hi Rod,

The latest version of HamHUD II firmware supports the Kenwood D700/D7a, but only in TNC mode.  Kenwood made a bad design decision that prevents front panel APRS operation when the TNC mode is engaged.  Anyway, you would be able to do SmartBeaconing with a D700, and you'd have the HamHUD II display for packet display and messaging.

HamHUD II PC boards are still available, and a new device, HamHUD V, is in development.

73,

Steve Bragg KA9MVA
The HamHUD Guy
www.hamhud.net