[aprssig] D7's,D700's and TinyTrak

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:44:07 EST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 5:24 PM, Rod,VE1BSK wrote:

> Could a TinyTrak or other device with SmartBeaconing be harnessed
> to one of the Kenwood rigs in the PTT mode of Beacon Transmit
> Method so that a Kenwood's beaconing would be under the control of
> SmartBeaconing.

Not practically, unless you want to dedicate both sides of the D700
to APRS.  Both the mic input and the audio input on the mini-DIN
connector are on the band currently selected (the one flagged "PTT"
on the display).

Another way to accomplish this is to use a dedicted microcontroller
than takes the GPS input and tells the d700 when to beacon vis the
d700's (non-GPS) rs232 port.

> Could the GPS signal be split between the two radios?

Yep.  Practically, just tap the TXdata line from the GPS.  To obey
the rs232 spec you'll need to play some games since 232 specifies a
single receiver, but in general it'll work OK without that (in my
limited experience).

-Jason
kg4wsv