[aprssig] APRS Local Info

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 28 19:26:55 EDT 2007

> > 3) 3rd party packets are ignored by the APRS-IS
> I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly

So instead of sending it as an object (in which PHG is not
decoded by the D700), we synthesized the repeater as a basic
posit report (with PHG)and by sending it 3rd party, then you can
freely use the full 9 character callsign field (to take 146.940+
for example)..  But then we could not use the APRS-IS to monitor
the capability and Uiview drew white boxes around every digi
thinking they were Igates because they were originating 3rd
party packets (instead or porperly wathcing for TCPIP in the
path)...

> > 4) We DO use radio range in the existing proposed format
>
> True... As text... but I like the green circles in xastir

But the RNGxxxx was to verbose and not parsed by the D700

> > See the examples on the web page:
> >
> > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html
>
> Yeah I went through the file, I'll see what the 'users'
> say in this  area and decide then.

Please convince them to go with the standard.  If we can make
this standard stick, then in the future it will be much easier
to have mobiles AUTOMATE the tuning and selection for traveler
repeaters and provide other kinds of automated responses.

People underestimate the value of a standard in building
consistency.  When we have consistency, then programmers can
PROGRAM for FEATURES beyond our wildest dreams.  If we don't
have consistency in some important APRS formats, then we loose
all kinds of potential.

Bob, WB4APR