[aprssig] APRS Local Info

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Thu Jun 28 18:25:04 EDT 2007

On 28 Jun 2007, at 18:06, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> I was just wondering what the feeling was on
>> making aprs repeater objects compressed?
>> What about using the Radio Range instead of PHG?
>
> We went through a long trial process to arrive at the present
> recommendation as being the best compromise of installed
> systems.
>
> 1) Uiview does not display PHG without ad-ons
Ok.... wasn't particular concern of mine... (seeing I'm a Tzar :))
but point taken
> 2) Compressed OBJects do not display on the D700
Oh.. Jason mentioned it earlier.. they display fine on my TM-D700E,
as I just got my wife to drive back from my parents house and I
checked them all. I'll have to check with a D700A so.

> 3) 3rd party packets are ignored by the APRS-IS
I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly
> 4) We DO use radio range in the existing proposed format

Thats true... as a text field, but I like the green circles in xastir
(me being a Tzar again!)

> There were several other things that didn't work, on a variety
> of different systems which is what drove the final
> receommendation.
>
> See the examples on the web page:
>
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html
>
> The line "T123 R45" means a PL tone of 123 and a range of 45
> miles.  There are other options for off-set ranges so that you
> can specify a range in the max direction and a separate range in
> the minimum direction.
Yeah I went through the file, I'll see what the 'users' say in this
area and decide then.
I'm already indicating direction/shift and tone as specified.

Regards
John

--
John Ronan <jronan at tssg.org>, +353-51-302938