[aprssig] PCSAT-3 opportunity?

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jun 26 12:40:56 EDT 2007

If you're talking about the one that fit in the original OpenTracker case
(with a hole in the board) then you're right, only a few of those were made,
though I've got a big stack of unused boards.  Trouble with those was that a
routing error in the oscillator circuit made them really flaky.  Those SMT
crystals are hard to mount properly anyway, and with the board error only
about 50% of the ones I built actually worked.  The T2-135 is mostly the
same circuit, but with a better layout, and has never had that problem.

The T2-135 would probably be usable itself, but the connectors aren't really
ideal.  If there's no rush, I can spin a new board rev in a couple of weeks.
I can get prototypes faster of course, but the cost climbs fast as lead
times decrease.

As I mentioned in the last email, I'm already working on a board that mates
with a commercial radio board, so it'll have all of the signals needed on a
0.1" pin header.  Might not be the right levels for another radio, though.
Here's a picture of the radio in its housing, with RF board and TNC
installed:  http://n1vg.net/opentracker/images/dtx-plus.jpg

Scott
N1VG