[aprssig] Need Help Using APRS/CE with Kenwood D700

Allen Shuff allen_shuff at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 24 00:22:17 EDT 2007

Hello Stephen,
Please see my response in your reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
On Behalf Of Stephen H. Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:12 PM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Need Help Using APRS/CE with Kenwood D700

Allen Shuff wrote:

> I am trying to use APRS/CE with the following: Kenwood D700, Garmin
> StreetPilot 1, and an IPAQ 4705.  Here is my configuration:
>

> .                     The D700 is connected to the D700 serial port
> using a Socket Cordless Serial Adapter (CSA).GPS input.
>
> .                     StreetPilot connected to D700.
>
> .                     D700 in TNC PKT mode.
>
> .                     Communication settings are:  com1, 9600 baud
> rate, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit (Note: TNC Type shows "None" and I can
> not select anything else from the pull-down menu.
>
> .                     GPS setting is Data from TNC Automatically
>

> When using the D700 and CSA with APRS +SA, my position is reported
> correctly on APRS +SA on my laptop; however, after attempting to send
> my position,  see a message similar to:
> TNC>232036z0000.00N/0000.00W>000/000 followed by no digipeat of your
> packet was heard.

This query as  posted, makes no sense.

o     What does "The D700 is connected to the D700 serial port" mean???
>>    This should have been "The IPAQ 4705 is connected to the D700 serial
port"

o     What is a Socket Cordless Serial Adapter?  Is it a bluetooth-type
dongle?  A serial-to-USB converter? or what?

>>    The Socket Cordless Serial Adapter is a Bluetooth to RS-232 adapter.

o     "(Note: TNC Type shows "None" and I can not select anything else
from the pull-down menu."  in what program or application?
>> As stated above, the application is APRS/CE.  I am using version 1.02.

o     Does the Street Pilot have a serial port?
>>    Yes, the StreetPilot 1 has an RS232 port.

o     Is it connected to the dedicated GPS port on the D700?
>>    Yes

Thanks, Allen

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com