[aprssig] EOC Standardized callsigns

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:51:00 EDT 2007

This sounds like a good idea in theory, but I think it would be difficult to
implement.  I understand the standardization and supposedly a person could
figure out someone elses EOC tactical call without prior knowledge.  You
would just need to know the ARRL section and the 3 digit county fips code.
In reality it would be hard to figure out a fips code while in the field.

Another issue is that not all APRS clients allow the use of tactical
callsigns.  We have UI-View32 setup in our EOC and I don't think using a
tactical callsign is possible.

I really think it would be helpful if the various ARES and RACES
organizations could organize and apply for a club callsign to use.  This is
what we have done in our community.  A simple vanity call helps local hams
remember the callsign.

I think there needs to be some education in avoiding the use of simplified
tactical callsigns, like "EOC," "REDCROSS" or "HOSPITAL."  That might fly
locally, but try to send a message to such a station via the APRS-IS.