[aprssig] FD callsigns IDEA!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:06:55 EDT 2007

With only 2 days to FD, I'd like more feedback if this SSS-#
predictible APRS Field Day Callsign idea will really work.

I have received only 2 messages to my FD object MDC-1.  One from
RF and one from Pureto Rico.  Also, I have found that my obejct
times out (in APRSdos) so I have to keep re-entering it.

This is a fantastic idea if it works everywhere.  But we need to
be sure that all Igates will recognize the objects as "stations"
and will therefore gate-back-to-RF any incomming messages to
those objects.

Send me a message to MDC-1 from far away, and lets see if this
works.
Also, post your own FD object for your ARRL section and let me
know so I can send you one. To check the Igate in yoru area to
see if it works too...

Bob
WB4APR

> Subject: RE: [aprssig] FD callsigns IDEA!
>
> Yes, it works!  I received a message to MDC-1 from PU2WOX.  My
> object is MDC-1.  Which represents my FD station for
Maryland-DC
> ARRL section field-day APRS station number 1...

anywhere
> > in
> > > the ocuntry can contact you in the blind by guessing your
> > > section (XXX) and then working all the "-n"'s.
> > >
> > > Now since some programs are not easy to change your
station
> > > call, and the registration number may not work, the
> > alternative
> > > is as folows:
> > >
> > > 1) Post an object (now) of XXX-n  where XXX is your ARRL
> > section
> > > and -n is a sequential number if there is more than one in
> > your
> > > section.  At more than 15, then the callsign will have to
be
> > > XXX1-1 for the 16th one, and on up to XXX1-15 and then on
> > > XXX2-1 and so on.
> > >
> > > 2) Add XXX-n to your MESSAGE GROUP.  This way, your
station
> > WILL
> > > receive all messages to that XXX-n object! (but it will
not
> > ACK
> > > them).  Besides, ACKS are of no value and much less
reliable
> > in
> > > a two-way contact anyway.
> > >
> > > 3) Work as many stations on RF normally as you can.  When
> you
> > > run out of local RF contacts, just send a message in the
> blind
> > > to each XXX-1 ARRL section with a CQ.  When you see a
> response
> > > from each XXX-1, then you can work the XXX-2 station and
so
> > > forth.
> > >
> > > 4) REMEMBER, ACKS are much less reliable.  Only worry
about
> 2
> > > way contacts, and not acks.  If you send station XXX-1 a
> > message
> > > and you get one back, then CANCEL your outgoing and move
on
> > > the next one.  The ACKS will never come back anyway, since
> you
> > > are sending messages to an OBJECT.
> > >
> > > You are doing this all on RF, but the messages actually go
> via
> > > the Igates system.  These contacts are not for FD points,
> but
> > > are for DEMO bragging rights!  A QSO is a 2 way message
> > contact.
> > >
> > > Always use the CAMP symbol for Field Day.  It is also
called
> > > PORTABLE sometimes.  It is a semicolon in the primary
table