[aprssig] itty bitty laptop

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 21 10:39:44 EDT 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, William McKeehan wrote:
>
> > I think this has a lot of potential:
> >
> > <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/06/Asustek-$199-Eee-PC_1.html?source=NLC-\HARDWARE&cgd=2007-06-06>
>
> No hard drive, they use flash memory instead.  Xandros(Linux) OS.
> Small screen.  3 hours on a battery.  Very inexpensive ($200).
> It should be very quiet and the article says it doesn't get hot to
> the touch.

Oh yea, one thing to be careful of:  Since this thing uses only
flash drives, remember that flash has a limited number of write
cycles you can do.  If you are putting logfiles, swap, or tmp files
on the flash drive, you'll end up making it unusable fairly quickly.
If you have enough RAM you can put all your temporary files there
instead and avoid this problem.  Just be careful of any daemons
(services for you Windows folk) that regularly write to any drives.