[aprssig] Compatible GPS for waypoint upload?

K7FTP k7ftp at commtechreview.net
Tue Jun 12 17:11:08 EDT 2007

We are using a Lowrance GlobalMap Baja 540c with great
results thus far in our Project Jeep.  More details are available at
http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep

It features an RS-232 NMEA-0183 port, color screen, and
can take maps via memory cards.  The maps are proprietary,
but they are reasonably up to date.  We are testing a Western-
US map with topo data installed.

One problem you will find with any of the built-in units - such
as the Eclipse AVN-7000 which we looked at a few months
ago - is that there is no RS-232 port.  These are usually the best
"navigation" units (Turn Left at the next intersection, Dear), but
they are built to tell you where to go and to play your music for
you, not for anything else.

When you get into units that have the NMEA-0183 port, you
tend to give up some of the turn-by-turn navigation, but you
gain a lot on our side of things.  At least, that's what I found.