[aprssig] Compatible GPS for waypoint upload?

Stephen Peters scpeters at mac.com
Tue Jun 12 15:00:31 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I've been looking around for an automotive style GPS (autorouting,
good basemaps, color screen etc) that can accept waypoint uploads.
I've been disappointed to find that most of the modern GPS units do
not include an NMEA-0183 serial port, and instead only a USB port.

With the advent of so many "waypoint upload" style APRS products, Can
anyone recommend a good GPS unit to connect to the other end of such
a device!

For example, none of the Garmin NUVI series would work, neither would
the modern Magellan units that I've seen.  The Tomtom website doesn't
even provide enough information to determine if the port exists!

There are some intriguing(?) products that could serve this market,
but I don't know much about them, for example:
<http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/06/07/woots-done-it-again-7-
gps-navigation-with-20gb-hdd-for-250/>
<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?
EdpNo=2529863&Sku=D158-1706>
(Maybe one of them could run Xastir??)

Do you have a GPS that you use with $GPWPL sending hardware that you
would recommend?

I am already familiar with the Garmin 276c, and a number of the older
monochrome units.

Thank you in advance,

-Steve