[aprssig] Another APRS hidden feature

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Sun Jun 10 14:06:14 EDT 2007

I figured everyone knew about this by now.  Guess I should be advertising it
more!  I used the same thing for tracking down my balloon launch last
November.  I had a Garmin GPSmap 60CS connected to an Alinco DR-135T with a
prototype T2-135 board installed.  Not only was I able to use the go-to
feature to get bearing and distance to the balloon, I also had target
course/speed, altitude, payload temperature, battery voltage, and ascent
rate on the waypoint detail screen.  For SAR use, you could include notes
about what the particular object is, instead of just a waypoint name.  Works
on Magellan units with serial input, too.

I believe the OpenTracker+ is the cheapest thing out there that'll do NMEA
waypoint output.  It won't do all of the fancy Garmin/Magellan stuff like
the T2, but it'll match the Kenwoods and then some as far as supported data
types go.  I was going to list it on my site (finally) this weekend, but I'm
not sure - I'm almost out of cases again, and it'll probably be the end of
the week before I can start shipping more.

I did get one new product listed, though.  I wound up with a bunch of extra
cases for the OT1x that I won't be using for that, so I made up some proto
boards to go with them.  They're great for projects requiring DB9's on both
ends - custom adapters, power converters, or whatever.  I've got them here
for $7 a set -
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58.  The new
surface mount OT1+ module will fit in there (not selling those quite yet,
either) so you can have a complete tracker with about half of the enclosure
left over for sensors or something.  Hmm, I've got some 7.2 volt NiMH
battery packs that'll fit under the board, too - I ought to sell some of
those.

Scott
N1VG

  _____