[aprssig] Another APRS hidden feature

John Zaruba Jr aa2bn at comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 11:37:20 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

I haven't seen this discussed (in my memory) but there is another way
to use APRS tactically.

If your GPS unit has road routing capabilities, and your APRS device
has a waypoint feature (like the D7, D700, and HamHUD II) you can use
the route to waypoint feature to navigate to an APRS object.

One example is to use an APRS Client program to create an object,
like a shelter, and broadcast it on RF where it is picked up by the
APRS device and exported to the attached GPS as a waypoint.  In my
case, I use a Garmin GPSMap 60csx, I select the waypoint and pick
"follow roads", and either "shortest distance" or "shortest time" and
the GPS plots a route to the APRS object. I was helping a new ham
learn APRS last night, and we found that his Magellan unit (sorry but
I didn't get the model number) has the same functionality.

I plan to use this on Field Day to help people find our site if
they're not familiar with it's location.

Just some food for thought...

73,

John AA2BN