[aprssig] TNC Question..

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 20:18:21 EDT 2007

John Scherer wrote:
> I recently was given a Kantronics KPC3 TNC.  The firmware is old at
> version 5.3 (something like that anyway).  The way I see it, I have
> two choices - upgrade to the latest firmware available for the KPC3,
> or forget about it and just purchase a KPC3+.  If I had the money
> there would be a third option - both ;-)   What are the differences
> between the KPC3 and the KPC3+?
>
> thanks
>
> John, KC0OIE

The KPC3 uses a completely different CPU and modem than the current
KPC3+, and thus completely different firmware from the current KPC3+ .
Further, the KPC3+ introduced a rudimentary second serial port for GPS
input for use as a standalone tracker.     A plain KPC3  CANNOT be
upgraded to the current ver 9.x firmware.

If you are just going to use the KPC3 for receiving and sending from a
home station, the difference won't matter.

If you intend to use it for digipeater use, (other than as a simple
WIDE1-1 home fill-in digi) the difference  MAY matter.  Used in KISS
mode, with an external computer program such as DigiNed or UIview
providing the APRS smarts, there will be no difference.  If you want it
to run stand-alone (without an attached computer), the firmware level is
critical; the old KPC3 firmware  won't work properly for the current new
digipeating standards.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map