[aprssig] Trackers on motorcycles

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Mon Jun 4 18:05:49 EDT 2007

At 03:58 PM 6/4/2007, William McKeehan wrote:
>I totally agree!
>
>If anyone has any tricks about running a D700 in the rain on a motorcycle (a
>Gold Wing specifically), I'd like to see them. The last two events that I've
>worked have been in the rain - the last one finally did some damage to the
>microphone. I'd hate to see that happen to the control head.

         Put the entire rig either in a saddlebag or a pocket in the
fairing, if it will fit there.  On Gold Wings from the '70's, there
was even a space inside the fake "gas tank" where it might fit, dunno
about modern GL's.

         Is voice operation imperative?  If so, you might want to buy
a cheap CB mic, then buy an electret mic element from DigiKey or
somebody and put in that shell.  That way, if the mic is damaged, at
least it was a CHEAP mic.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham